FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2000
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 7 which is COMPULSORY. Select at least ONE QUESTION from each of the PARTS I, II AND III. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
PART – I (Management)
- Define strategic and operational planning and identify the important attributes of strategic planning.
“Leaders are born, not made”. Do you agree or disagree? Give reasons. How and why?
Part II (Principles of Management)
- What do you understand by 4Ps in marketing and discuss the key differences and similarities between selling and marketing concepts?
Describe the nature and scope of global marketing and discuss the role of MNCs (Multinational co.) in developing countries.
PART – III (Financial Management)
- Explain the following concepts/terms with examples:
(a) Net Present Value (NPV)
(b) Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
(c) Price earning ratio
(d) Dilutive Securities
- The following information has been taken from Mirza Co’s unadjusted and adjusted Trail balances:
Debit Credit Debit Credit
Prepaid Insurance 6,200 – 5,900 –
Salaries Payable – – – 1400
Office supplies 900 — 800 –
The adjusting entries must have included these Items: Give reasons regarding how and why: –
(a) A 300 debit to prepaid insurance, a 1400 credit to salaries payable and a 100 credit to office supplies.
(b) A 300 credit to prepaid insurance, a 1400 debit to salaries payable, and 100 credit to office supplies.
(c) A 300 debit to insurance expense, a 1400 debit to salaries expense and a 100 debit to office supplies expense.
(d) A 300 insurance expense, a 1400 credit to salaries payable, and a 100 debit to office supplies OR Adjust in your own understanding?
- Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Don’t reproduce the questions:
(1) Public Accountants generally perform these services:
(a) Income tax services, Management Advisory services, and independent auditing services
(b) Internal auditing, Income tax services and management controlling.
(c) Public accounting, private accounting and budgeting.
(d) None of the above is correct.
(2) Identify the organization created by Congress to regulate security markets including flow of information from companies to public:
(a) TVM (b) NPV (c) IRR (d) SEC
(3) Select the term that describes a cash distribution to a Corporation’s Stockholders:
(a) Paid out Capital (b) Cash Management
(c) A dividend (d) None of these
(e) All of the above are correct
(4) Frederick Winslow Taylor work/book entitled the principles of Scientific Management is published, in:
(a) 1875 (b) 1901 (c) 1911 (d) None of these
(5) One of the most successful Industrialists and the father of Modern Personnel Management is:
(a) F.W. Taylor (b) James Watt
(c) C. Babbage (d) Robert Owen
(6) Who has the major Contributions in the Theory of Bureaucracy:
(a) Henry Gantt (b) Hanri Fayal
(c) W.D. Scatt (d) Max Weber
(e) None of these
(7) Which one, of the following MNCs (Multinational Co.) has the higher revenues during mid. 1990s:
(a) General Motor (b) IBM (c) AT &T
(d) General Electric (e) None of the above
(8) Give the, name of the author who has the major contributions in the field of marketing:
(a) H. Koontz (b) W.J. Stanton
(c) P.B. Miller (d) Gitt Man
(e) All of these
(9) The profit margin is a ratio between the corporation’s net income and:
(a) Total expense (b) Total assets (c) Cost
(d) Total revenues (e) None of the above
(10) MNCs are responsible for the majority of Foreign Direct Investment (FDIs) and have a higher revenues than the national income of some of the countries they serve:
(a) Fully agreed (b) Not agreed
(c) It is not possible (d) None of these
(11) Earned but uncollected revenues, that are recording the adjusted process, recorded with a credit to the revenues and debit to the expense is called:
(a) Adjusted Trail balance (b) Expenses
(c) Accrued revenues (d) None of these
(12) Which one of the following is not a part/variable of the Marketing Mix (4Ps):
(a) Product (b) Price (c) Place
(d) Person (e) None of these
(13) The major steps in the accounting cycle are the following:
(a) The procedure used in a worksheet
(b) Begin with Trail Balance
(c) Completed only once in business life
(d) None of the above (e) All of these
(14) Which of the following items is not unique to the financial statements of merchandising Companies?
(a) Cost of goods sold (b) Gross profit
(c) Account receivable (d) Net sales
(e) All of the above (f) None
(15) The repairs made to keep a plant/asset in normal and good operating condition are called:
(a) Plant Management (b) Operation Management (c) Ordinary repairs
(16) A company that owns more than 50’s of another company and controls that a corporation is known as:
(a) Subsidizing (b) Consolidated CO.
(c) None of these
(17) The process of individual growth in the full utilization of a person’s managerial capabilities is called management development: (a) True (b) False
(18) Promotion is not a part of marketing:
(a) Agreed (b) Not agreed (c) None of these
(19) A way of analyzing leadership style where leaders are classified on a grid with TWO dimensions is called:
(a) Managerial grid (b) Two way theory (c) None
(20) Robert Owen is known as the Father of Modern Personnel Management:
(a) Yes (b) No (c) May be Taylor