- Ceramics are Inorganic and nonmetallic materials consisting of metallic and nonmetallic elements which are bonded together primarily by ionic and covalent bonds. Ceramic are generally based on an oxide, nitride, boride, or carbide, that are fired at a high temperature.
- The word Ceramic has been derived from Ancient Greek word kéramos which means “potter’s clay”. Though the earliest ceramics were pottery, the term now encompasses a large group of materials.
- Ceramics may be glazed prior to firing to produce a coating that reduces porosity and has a smooth, often colored surface.
- Material Science is a branch of science and engineering that investigates the relationship between the structure of materials at the atomic or molecular level and their physical properties at the macroscopic level. Ceramics is the oldest branch of materials science.
- Ceramography is the science of preparation and characterization of ceramics.
- Cermet is a type of composite material containing ceramic and metal.
- Since Ceramics include a wide variety of materials, hence it is difficult to generalize their characteristics.
- Most ceramics exhibit the following properties:
- High hardness
- Usually brittle, with poor toughness
- High melting point
- Chemical resistance
- Poor electrical and thermal conductivity
- Low ductility
- High modulus of elasticity
- High compression strength
- Optical transparency to a variety of wavelengths
- Exceptions include superconducting and piezoelectric ceramics.
- White-wares – cookware, pottery, and wall tiles.
- Structural ceramics – bricks, pipes, roofing tiles, and floor tiles.
- Technical ceramics – bearings, special tiles (e.g. spacecraft heat shielding), biomedical implants, ceramic brakes, nuclear fuels, ceramic engines, and ceramic coatings.
- Refractories are ceramics used to make crucibles, line kilns, and radiate heat in gas fireplaces.
- Another classification is based on indoor and outdoor usage;
- Indoors – Refractory bricks, Tiles, Kitchenware, Porcelain enamels for appliances (for example, stock pot), Sanitary ware, Lighting fixtures, Decorative pottery
- Outdoors – Roof tiles, Garden items, Bridges and roads, Concrete tennis court, Sport items.
7 thoughts on “Ceramics”
202241 315035This is a very good topic to talk about. Sometimes I fav stuff like this on Redit. I dont believe this would be the very best to submit though. Ill take a look about your site though and submit something else. 566768
133187 848177I believe this internet internet site has some rattling great information for everyone : D. 604327
21449 710035Some genuinely prime posts on this site , bookmarked . 273488
760346 173975Woh I enjoy your content , saved to favorites ! . 636062
171836 586952There is an ending. Just remember that I meant for this to be an art game. I do feel like I spent an inordinate amount of time on the a lot more traditional gameplay elements, which may make the meaning with the game a bit unclear. Should you mess around with it though, youll find it. 789708
927721 782671I saw your post awhile back and saved it to my computer. Only recently have I got a chance to checking it and need to tell you nice function. 944133
957721 27389Outstanding post, I conceive weblog owners need to acquire a good deal from this blog its really user pleasant. 587100