FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17, UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2000
ENGLISH LITERATURE, PAPER – II
TIME ALLOWED: 3 HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt ~ questions in all, including question No.8 which is Compulsory. All questions carry equal marks.
Q.No.1. Describe “Hamlet” as one of the revenge plays in English Literature.
Q.No.2. Examine critically the theme of “Pygmalion” by Shaw.
Q.No.3. “Pride and Prejudice” and Jane Austen is a novel with limited range. ,Discuss.
Q.No.4. W.B. Yeats was a Romantic Poet. Discuss with reference to his major Poems.
Q.No.5. Do you agree that Swift is a misanthrope in his ‘Gulliver’S Travels’? Why?
Q.No.6. Discuss the artistic and emotional aspects in ‘The Waste Land’ by Eliot.
Q.No.7. Write a short note/essay on the following:
(a) Substance of Shakespearean Tragedy (b) ‘Fire and Ice’
Q.No.8. Write only the correct/best answer in the Answer book. Don’t reproduce the questions.
(1) Who wrote “Shakespeare’s Later Comedies’?
(a) A.C. Bradley (b) Palmer D.J. (c) Dr.Johnsofl
(2) Which of the following is not a dramatist?
(a) Ben Johnson (b) Eliot (c) S. Backet
(3) Which. of the following is not a play by Shakespeare?
(a) Tempest (b) Pygmalion ‘ (c) King Lear
(4) Who is the author of ‘After Strange Gods’?
(a) Shaw (b) Robert Frost (c) Eliot
(5) Who is the Villain in ‘Hamlet’?
(a) Horatio (b) Iago (c) Claudius
(6) Who is the heroine of ‘Hamlet’?
(a) Cordelia (b) Portia (c) Ophelia
(7) After whom the Elizabethan Age is named:
(a) Elizabeth I (b) Elizabeth II (c) Elizabeth Browning
(8) Who wrote ‘Common Pursuit’?
(a) Leavis, F.R. (b) Cecil, D. (c) E.M.Foster
(9) ‘ Paradise Lost is an epic by:
(a). Spenser (b) Chaucer (c) Milton
(10) “After Apple Picking” is written by:
(a) Robert Browning (b) Robert Frost
(11) Ernest Hemingway wrote:
(a) Mr. Chips (b) Pride and Prejudice (c) Old Man and the Sea
(12) “Intellectual Beauty” is written by:
(a) Bertrand Russell (b) Huxley (c) P.B.Shelley
(13) Who wrote “20th Century Views”?
(a) Abrahams, M. H. (b) Palmer, D. J. (c) Bertrand Russell
(14) ‘Desert Places’ is a:
(a) Poem (b) Play (c) Novel
(15) The University Wits were:
(a) Poets (b) Playwrights (c) Novelists
(16) William Shakespeare was Born in:
(a) 1564 (b) 1534 (c) 1616
(17) Francis Bacon died in:
(a) 1616 (b) 1626 (c) 1648
(18) The period between 1660 to 1750 is known as:
(a) The Age of Classicism (b) . The Restoration (c) The age of Milton
(19) Who wrote “The Pilgrim’s Progress”?
(a) John Bunyan (b) Daniel Defoe (c) Dryden
(20) ‘‘The Conduct of the Allies’ is a famous work of:
(a) Jonathan Swift (b) Samuel Johnson (c) Oliver ‘Goldsmith