FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2004.
EUROPEAN HISTORY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
- Highlight the influence of French philosophers to bring about French revolution of 1789.
Trace the course of the French Revolution from 1789 to 1791.
What was the Continental System? Elaborate its effect.
“Out of the mud of Crimea a new Italy was made and less obviously a new Germany? Elaborate.
Estimate the importance of July Revolution of 1830 to redefine history of Europe.
Bismarck dominated European politics from 1871 to 1890. Elaborate.
Write short notes on any Two of the following:
(i) Triple Alliance 1882 (ii) Garibaldi (iii) Suez Canal (iv) Treaty of Vienna 1815
- Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) Estate General assembled at Versailles after a lapse of:
(a) 75 years (b) 175 years (c) 275 years (d) 375 years (e) None of these
(2) ‘Social Contract’ was written by:
(a) Napoleon (b) Voltaire (c) Lafayette (d) None of these
(3) Estate General had a total of _________ deputies.
(a) 1155 (b) 1255 (c) 1365 (d) None of these
(4) The French Constitution of October 1795 had Directory of ___________ members.
(a) Three (b) Four (c) Five (d) Fifteen (e) None of these
(5) Napoleon became _________ at the age of 30.
(a) First Council (b) President (c) Emperor (d) None of these
(6) Holy Roman Empire was formally dissolved by Napoleon in:
(a) 1801 (b) 1799 (c) 1806 (d) 1810 (e) None of these
(7) By first Treaty of Paris, the boundaries of France were fixed at those of:
(a) 1810 (b) 1812 (c) 1789 (d) 1792 (e) None of these
(8) Primary concern of the Congress of Aix-La-Chapelle 1818 was to:
(a) Mark the boundaries of Europe (b) Reinstate France (c) Recognize Russia (d) None of these
(9) In 1826 Congress of _________ was held:
(a) Verona (b) Laibach (c) Troppau (d) None of these
(10) In 1813 at Leipzig _________ was victorious.
(a) Russia (b) Belgium (c) Prussia (d) None of these
(11) In 1870 France declared war against:
(a) Russia (b) Belgium (c) Great Britain (d) None of these
(12) Napoleon III was taken prisoner in the battle of:
(a) Graveloth (b) Worth (c) Sedan (d) None of these
(13) The Spanish people overthrow their ruler Isabella in:
(a) 1870 (b) 1868 (c) 1858 (d) None of these
(14) Alsace and Lorraine was given by France to Germany by the Treaty of:
(a) Berlin (b) Frankfort (c) Paris (d) None of these
(15) On 18th January, 1871 _________ was proclaimed German Emperor.
(a) Bismarck (b) William (c) Charles (d) None of these
(16) First Hague Peace conference was held in:
(a) 1903 (b) 1879 (c) 1899 (d) None of these
(17) The Communist Manifesto written by Karl Marx was held in:
(a) 1848 (b) 1858 (c) 1900 (d) None of these
(18) Thiers was a _______ Statesman.
(a) French (b) Russian (c) Prussian (d) None of these
(19) Mr. Dreyfus was convicted on documents forged by:
(a) Colonel Picquart (b) Colonel Henry (c) Both of these (d) None of these
(20) Morocco was incorporated in French Empire in:
(a) 1912 (b) 1902 (c) 1878 (d) None of these