Everyday Science CSS Paper 2009
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR
RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS-17 UNDER
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2009
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE PAPER-I (EVERY DAY SCIENCE)
(PART-I) 80 MINUTES MAXIMUM MARKS: 50
(PART-II) MINUTES MAXIMUM MARKS: 50
(i) First attempt PART-I (MCQ) on separate Answer Sheet which shall be taken back after 80 minutes.
(ii) Overwriting/cutting of the options/answers will not be given credit.
PART – I (MCQs)
Q.1. Select the best option/answer and fill in the appropriate Box on the Answer Sheet: (50)
(1) Person with following blood group are considered to be universal recipient.
a. A+ b. B+ c. AB+ d. O+ e. None of these
(2) Study of life in outer space is known as:
a. Endobiology b. Exobiology c. Enterobiology d. Neobiology e. Micro biology
(3) The name of the common mineral salt present in seat is:
a. Calcium Oxalate b. Potassium Sulphate c. Sodium Chloride d. Iron Sulphate e. None of these
(4) Sensitive layer of the eye is: a. Choriods b. Sclerotic c. Retina d. Cornea e. None of these
(5) Laughing gas has chemical composition of following two elements.
a. Nitrogen + Hydrogen b. Nitrogen + Carbon c. Nitrogen + Oxygen d. Oxygen + Carbon e. None of these
(6) Dr. Abdus Salam of Pakistan was one of the contributors of the unification of:
a. Electromagnetic force and gravitational force b. Electromagnetic force and weak nuclear force c. Gravitational force and weak nuclear force d. Weak nuclear force and strong nuclear force e. None of these
(7) Which triplet in DNA codes for valine:
a. CTT b. AGU c. CAT d. AAT e. None of these
(8) What is the chance of diabetic baby born to parents both heterozygous normal ?
a. Zero b. ¼ c. ½ d. ¾ e. None of these
(9) Which of the following is not a part of Darwinism:
a. Over production b. Natural selection c. Inheritance for acquired characters d. Competition for survival e. None of these
(10) Role of biotechnology in the production of food based on:
a. Decomposition b. Respiration c. Digestion d. Fermentation e. None of these
(11) Which form of drug abuse involves most risk of infection with the HIV (AIDS) virus:
a. Cigarette smoking b. Using alcohol c. Injection of heroine d. Taking too much aspirin e. None of these
(12) Founder of modern astronomy was:
a. Archimedes b. William Gilbert c. Nicolas Copernicus d. Michael Faraday e. None of these
(13) The instrument which measures very high temperature is:
a. Manometer b. Thermostat c. Chronometer d. Pyrometer e. None of these
(14) The science which deals with study of manners and customs of people is:
a. Ethnology b. Morphology c. Ethics d. Genetics e. None of these
(15) Chemical used to kill rats and mice are:
a. Insecticides b. Rodenticides c. Fungicides d. Herbicides e. None of these
(16) Dry ice is:
a. Methane hydrate b. Liquid Nitrogen c. Solid Carbon dioxide d. Frozen Water e. None of these
(17) Chemical name of vinegar is:
a. Sodium Nitrate b. Dilute acetic acid c. Chloride of lime d. Calcium e. None of these
(18) Deficiency of following vitamin decreases hemoglobin production:
a. Biotin b. Thiamine c. Niacin d. Pyridoxine e. None of these
(19) Hygrometer is used for measuring the:
a. Speed of sound b. Density of milk c. Humidity of air d. Specific gravity of liquids e. None of these
(20) Bronze is an alloy of:
a. Copper and Zinc b. Tin and Zinc c. Copper and Tin d. Iron and Zinc e. None of these
(21) Which of the following is most elastic ?
a. Steel b. Rubber c. Glass d. Sponge e. None of these
(22) Orbital period of the planet Mercury around the sun is:
a. 88 days b. 365 days c. 2 years d. 98 days e. None of these
(23) The most splendid and the most magnificent constellation on the sky is:
a. Orion b. Columbia c. Canis Major d. Taurus e. None of these
(24) “Black holes” refer to:
a. Hole occurring in heavenly bodies b. Bright spots on the sun c. Collapsing objects of high density d. Collapsing of low density e. None of these
(25) Eugenics is the study of:
a. Altering human beings by changing their genetic components b. People of European region c. Different races of mankind d. Genetic of plants e. None of these
(26) The position of earth in its orbit, when it is at its greatest distance from the sun causing northern summer is called:
a. Aphelion b. Perihelion c. Perigee d. Apogee e. None of these
(27) Diamond is a very expensive ornament. It is composed of a single element:
a. Carbon b. Gold c. Silver d. Platinum e. None of these
(28) Which of the following layers make radio transmission possible?
a. Troposphere b. Ionosphere c. Mesosphere d. Stratosphere e. None of these
(29) Which of the following explains the reason why there is no total eclipse of the sun?
a. Size of the earth in relation to that of moon b. Orbit of moon around earth c. Direction of rotation of earth around sun d. Area of the sun covered by the moon e. None of these
(30) Television signals are converted into light signals by:
a. Optical fiber b. Transistor c. Decoder d. Photo diode e. None of these
(31) Where do most of Asteroids lie?
a. In asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter b. In asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Venus c. In asteroid belt between the orbits of Jupiter and Venus d. Everywhere in the sky
e. None of these
(32) The number of spark plugs needed in a diesel engine is:
a. 2 b. 3 c. 0 d. 4 e. None of these
(33) The half life of a radioactive element is 8-days. How long it take to reduce it from 10 mg to 5 mg?
a. 4 days b. 12 days c. 16 days d. 8 days e. None of these
(34) The term ‘Blue Shift’ is used to indicate:
a. Doppler effect in which an object appears bluer when it is moving towards the observer or observer is moving towards the object. b. Turning a star from white to blue c. In future sun would become blue d. Black hole was blue at its start e. None of these
(35) Kilowatt-hour is a unit of:
a. Power b. Electric Current c. Energy d. Time e. None of these
(36) Fuel used in a Fast Breeder Reactor is:
a. Uranium Oxide b. Uranium Plutonium carbide c. Uranium Plutonium Oxide d. Uranium thorium Oxide e. None of these
(37) Monsoon is caused by:
a. Seasonal reversal of winds b. Revolution of earth c. Movement of clouds d. Rise in temperature e. Rain forests
(38) Which of the following atmospheric layers help in radio communication?
a. Exosphere b. Ionosphere c. Troposphere d. Stratosphere e. Ozone layer
(39) A moderator is used in nuclear reactor in order to:
a. Accelerate the neutrons b. Slow down the speed of the neutrons c. Increase the number of elections d. Decrease the number of electrons e. None of these
(40) Sedimentary rocks are:
a. Porous b. Hard c. Rough d. Brittle e. Volcanic
(41) Which one of the following is a non-metallic mineral?
a. Manganese b. Magnesium c. Gypsum d. Bauxite e. None of these
(42) Ozone layer prevents the following radiation from entering the atmosphere:
a. Infra-red b. Ultraviolet c. X-rays d. Gamma rays e. None of these
(43) The phenomenon of Aurora Borealis, the display of red and green lights in northern hemisphere is due to radiations from:
a. Ionosphere b. Troposphere c. Mesosphere d. Stratosphere e. None of these
(44) Yeast is used in making bread because it produces:
a. Carbon dioxide b. Sugar c. Bacteria d. Oxygen e. None of these
(45) Oasis is associated with:
a. Glaciers b. Desert c. Islands or Last Island d. Volcanoes e. Fertile land
(46) Quartz crystal in quartz watches work on the principle called:
a. Photoelectric effect b. Stark effect c. Thermionic effect d. Piezoelectric effect e. None of these
(47) The fruits without seed, like banana, are called:
a. seedless fruits b. parthenogenesis fruits c. parthenocarpic fruits d. placental fruits e. Organic fruits
(48) Animal which captures and readily kills living animals for its food is called:
a. Parasite b. Scavenger c. Predator – not or moderator d. Mammal e. None of these
(49) In a railway track, two rails are joined end to end with a gap tin between them because:
a. Steel can be saved b. Accidents due to contraction in winter can be avoided c. Air gaps are necessary for bearing the weight of running train d. Accidents due to expansion in summer can be avoided e. All of these
(50) Name the famous book of Ibn-Sina in which he discussed human physiology and medicine:
a. Al-Qanoon b. Al-Masudi c. New Renaissance d. Tadhkira e. None of these
PART – II (Subjective)
(i) Attempt ONLY FIVE questions from PART-II. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
(ii)Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted questions will not be considered.
Q.2. Write short note on the following by giving their exact life span and contribution to the field of science (Accurate facts will be appreciated) (5×2)
(a) Umar Al Khayyam (b) Zakariya Al Razi
Q.3. Differentiate between ANY FIVE of the following pairs. (2×5)
(a) Umbra and Penumbra (b) Heavy water and hard water (c) Smog and Smoke (d) Myopia and Hyperopia (e) Lava and Magma (f) Periscope and perimeter (g) X-rays and Gamma rays
Q.4. Sun is glorious star in our sky. Write down its characteristics with reference to the following date:
(a) Distance from earth (b) Mean distance from center of galaxy (c) Velocity around centre of galaxy (d) Revolution period around centre of galaxy (e) Equatorial diameter (f) Rotation period at the equator (g) Core temperature (h) Solar wind (i) The lovely Diamond Ring effect (j) Future of sun
Q.5. Write briefly (not more than three to four sentences) about ANY FIVE of the following: (2×5)
(a)Allotropy (b) Nebula (c) Enrichment of Uranium (d) Aqua Regia (e) Greenhouse effect (f) Igneous rocks
Q.6. (a) Define GENETIC ENGINEERING. In how many ways Genetic Engineering can be applied in different fields of life? Does it benefit society ? Discuss. (1+3+2)
b. What do the following abbreviations stand for? (1/2 each)
i. SONAR ii. CNS iii. PTFE iv. LDL v. SARS vi. GUT vii. BASIC viii. BTU
Q.7. (a) What are MINERALS? Discuss ANY TWO physical properties thereof. Also mention the names of four precious minerals of high commercial value.
(b) Define the following: (1 each)
(a) Amphibian (b) Synchronous satellite (c) Big Dipper (d) Fermentation (e) Millennium Bug
Q.8. (a) Define RECEPTORS in man. Name different receptor organs in human body. Also discuss ANY TWO of them briefly.
(b). Give Scientific reasons of the following: (1 each)
i. The dogs pant, the birds open their mouth and the elephants move rapidly their ears.
ii. The manholes covers are generally round.
iii. A geostationary satellite appears standstill to a viewer on the equator of earth.
iv. We never see birds urinating.
v. Pasteurized milk has more nourishment than the ordinary boiled milk.
Q.9. (a) Highlight the similarities and differences between animals and plants. (3+3)
(b) Write short note on ANY TWO of the following. (2 each)
(i) Teleprinter (ii) Dengue Virus (iii) Vacuum Cleaner
12 thoughts on “Everyday Science CSS Paper 2009”
142485 560667Can you give me some tips for piece of software writing? 284737
340311 601378This site is my inhalation, actually fantastic layout and Perfect written content. 308395
57402 434722Great day! This post could not be written any far better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have a excellent read. Thanks for sharing! 259620
553780 618396Sweet website, super pattern , real clean and utilize genial . 439420
918312 639318Thank her so much! This line is move before dovetail crazy, altarpiece rather act like habitual the economizing – what entrepreneur groovy night until deal with starting a trade. 818314
31266 107963The next time I just read a weblog, I genuinely hope which it doesnt disappoint me up to this 1. Get real, Yes, it was my choice to read, but I personally thought youd have something interesting to convey. All I hear can be a handful of whining about something you could fix within the event you werent too busy trying to find attention. 481057
265380 519486Hi! I discovered your site accidentally today, but am truly pleased that we did! Its not only entertaining, but in addition straightforward to make use of in contrast to lots that Ive viewed! 45468
570648 23930I likewise conceive so , perfectly written post! . 454599
672166 865402Hi there! Do you use Twitter? Id like to follow you if that would be ok. Im undoubtedly enjoying your weblog and appear forward to new posts. 213406
613631 742487Hi, ich habe Ihre Webseite bei der Suche nach Fernbus Hamburg im Internet gefunden. Schauen Sie doch mal auf meiner Seite vorbei, ich habe dort viele Testberichte zu den aktuellen Windeleimern geschrieben. 98359
459231 831827this is really fascinating. thanks for that. we want a lot more websites like this. i commend you on your excellent content and exceptional subject choices. 845633
643272 585593Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog internet site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant transparent concept 637840