FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2002.
ZOOLOGY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 7 which is COMPULSORY. Select at least TWO QUESTIONS from each of the SECTIONS ‘A’ AND ‘B’. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (a) Describe various modes of LOCOMOTION in PROTOZOA. (6)
(b) Describe CONJUGATION in PARAMECIUM and its significance. (8)
(c) Give economic importance of SPONGES. (6)
(a) Write down the economic importance of CORAL REEFS. (5)
(b) Describe the life history of LIVER FLUKE by giving suitable diagrams. (10)
(c) Explain METAMERISM and its significance in ANNELIDA (5)
(a) Give the diagnostic features of ARTHROPODS. (6)
(b) Describe the adaptive modifications of FOOT IN GASTROPODS. (7)
(c) Give an account of WATER VASCULAR SYSTEM IN ECHINODERMATES. (7)
- (a) Describe the various types of SCALES in FISHES. (5)
(b) Enumerate the functions of the skin and also tell the structures derived from it. (10)
(c) Write briefly about the POUNCED MAMMALS. (5)
(a) Describe the mechanism of RESPIRATION IN MAMMALS. (8)
(b) Give an account of DENTITION IN MAMMALS. (6)
(c) Write about the economic importance of birds. (6)
(a) Describe the structure and function of MAMMALIAN KIDNEY. (8)
(b) Write about MIGRATION in birds. (6)
(c) Snakes are useful creatures. Discuss. (6)
7. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(A) Which of the four options make the following statement correct? On your answer books just write the question number and one of the serial alphabets. (10)
(1) The mode of nutrition in AMOEBA is:
(a) Holozoic (b) Saprozoic (c) Saprophytic (d) None of these
(2) The coelom in PLATYHELMINTHES is:
(a) Pseudocoel (b) Haemocoel (c) Metacoel (d) None of these
(3) EXCRETORY organs in earthworms are:
(a) Nephron (b) Flame cells (c) Malpighian Tubules (d) Nephridia (e) None of these
(4) Foot is used as an organ of locomotion in which of the following animals?
(a) Freshwater mussel (b) Octopus (c) Sepia (d) None of these
(5) Which group of animals out of the following is DIPLOBLASTIC?
(a) Platyhelminthes (b) Echinodermata (c) Coelenterata (d) None of these
(6) Which of the following has the maximum of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood in the ventricle of its heart?
(a) Fish (b) Frog (c) Crocodile (d) None of these
(7) Reptiles are:
(a) Oviparous (b) Viviparous (c) Ovo-viviparous (d) None of these
(8) The urea formation in mammals takes place in:
(a) Kidneys (b) Spleen (c) Liver (d) None of these
(9) Vertebrates in which placenta is formed during the development of fetus are:
(a) Reptiles (b) Aves (c) Mammals (d) None of these
(10) Lymph most closely resembles with:
(a) Plasma (b) Interstitial fluid (c) Blood (d) None of these
(B) Check which of the following statements are true or false. On your answer sheets just write the question number and T or F. (10)
(11) Archaeopteryx is a missing link between birds and reptiles.
(12) Skin of frog has well-developed sweat glands.
(13) True Coelom develops from endoderm.
(14) Archenteron develops during blastula stage.
(15) The Trypanosoma causes the disease called “sleeping sickness”.
(16) Snakes can listen and enjoy music.
(17) Echidna is an egg-laying mammal.
(18) Herbivores have more pointed teeth than carnivores.
(19) Reptiles are warm blooded animals.
(20) The body cavity in arthropods is a haemocoel.