FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2003.
ZOOLOGY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 7 which is COMPULSORY. Select at least TWO QUESTIONS from each of the SECTIONS. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
- (a) Discuss the phenomenon of Autogamy with special reference to Paramecium. (7)
(b) Give a brief overview of Parasitic Adaptations in Platyhelminthes. (7)
(c) “Sponges have a Diploblastic organization.” Discuss the statement. (6)
(a) Define Polymorphism and explain with reference to Coelenterata. (8)
(b) Describe Respiratory System in insects. (7)
(c) “The skeletal support though gives protection, yet makes Molluscs inefficient. Comment on the statement. (5)
(a) “The Annelids are Metamerically Segmented organisms.” Discuss the statement. (10)
(b) Discuss the Water Vascular system in Echinoderms. (10)
4. (a) Discuss Retrogressive Metamorphosis with reference to Ascidian. (10)
(b) “Amphioxus is an ideal Chordate.” Comment. (10)
- (a) Discuss the evolutionary changes in the structure of heart indifferent Chordate groups. (10)
(b) Write a brief essay on Migration in birds. (10)
(a) Give an account of development of chick upto the development of three Germinal Layers. (12)
(b) Name the ten Cranial Nerves found in Scoliodon. (8)
7. (A) Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) Contractile vacuole in Protozoa is basically concerned with:
(a) Excretion (b) Osmoregulation (c) Respiration (d) None of these
(2) Gemmules are produced in:
(a) Annelida (b) Arthropoda (c) Porifera (d) None of these
(3) Scales in Reptiles originate from:
(a) Ectoderm (b) Mesoderm (c) Endoderm (d) None of these
(4) The Chordates are dissected from:
(a) Dorsal side (b) Ventral side (c) Lateral side (d) Both (a) and (b) (e) None of these
(5) Open type of blood vascular system is present in:
(a) Echinoderms (b) Chordates (c) Molluscs (d) None of these
(6) Frog has the following number of Neck Vertebrae:
(a) Seven (b) Nine (c) Four (d) Zero (e) None of these
(7) Insects have not adapted to the environment:
(a) Aquatic (b) Fresh water (c) Marine (d) None of these
(8) The true jaw is not present in:
(a) Elasmobranchs (b) Bony Fish (c) Agnatha (d) None of these
(9) Sea Horse is included in:
(a) Pisces (b) Mammals (c) Insects (d) Mollusca (e) None of these
(10) A house fly has the following number of legs:
(a) Four (b) Eight (c) Six (d) None of these
(B) Check which of the following statements are true or false. On your answer sheets just write the question number and T or F.
(11) Some sponges are found in freshwater also.
(12) Choanocytes are found in Coelenterates.
(13) Coral reefs are present in the sandy coasts of Karachi.
(14) All the internal body cavities are not Coelom.
(15) Mouthparts in Arthropods are modified appendages.
(16) The appearances of different stages in the embryonic development of a mammal is called as Metamorphosis.
(17) The major part of the Chordate body is Mesodermal in origin.
(18) The Echinoderms and Chordates are Enterocoelic.
(19) Giraffe and goat are similar in having seven neck vertebrae.
(20) The mammals are characterized by having Mammary glands.