FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS – 17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2003.
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including question No. 8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
Q. No. 1. Discuss the role of soil in relation to crop production. What is the significance of different phases of soil in plant nutrition?
Q. No. 2. Discuss biotic stresses affecting crop production and discuss perspective of integrated pest Management with special reference of Pakistan.
Q. No. 3. Importance of Agriculture in economy of Pakistan can’t be underestimated. How do you comment on the statement?
Q. No. 4. What are prerequisites for successful plant propagation? Discuss different modes of reproduction and factors influencing success in vegetable propagation?
Q. No. 5. Discuss measures to bridge the gaps persisting between national average yield of major crops and their potential yield.
Q. No. 6. Write short notes on any FOUR of the following.
(c) Integrated plant nutrient system (IPNS)
(d) Impact of WTO on agriculture in developing countries.
(e) Role of Biofertilizers in Agriculture
(f) Role of Statistics in agriculture research
Q. No. 7. Differentiate between the following
(a) Respiration and photorespiration
(b) Soil texture & soil structure
(c) Tissue culture & Mutation breeding
(d) Apoplasmic & Symplasmic ion movement
(e) Thin layer chromatography vs. Gas chromatography
Q. No. 8. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) Texture of soil is:
(a) Arrangement of soil particles (b) Relative proportion of soil particles (c) Both of the above (d) None of these
(2) Inqlab-91 is a cultivar of:
(a) Brassica (b) Wheat (c) Rice (d) None of these
(3) Cotton is places:
(a) Cereals (b) Legumes (c) Fiber (d) None of these
(4) NMR stands for:
(a) Non Molecular Resistance (b) Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (c) Nuclear Membrane resistance (d) None of these
(5) Water stress is:
(a) Shortage of water (b) Water logging (c) Both a & b (d) None of these
(6) Free living animal that attacks and feed on other organisms is:
(a) Predator (b) Parasite (c) Scavengers (d) None of these
(7) A decrease in the governmentally define value of currency:
(a) Inflation (b) Cheapness (c) Devaluation (d) None of these
(8) Seed cotton means:
(a) Seed with lint (b) Seed without lint (c) Lint (d) None of these
(9) Sex nucleus that fuses with another in sexual reproduction is:
(a) Cell (b) Gamete (c) Spore (d) None of these
(10) Motile spores are:
(a) Aplanospores (b) Chlamydospores (c) Conidia (d) None of these
(B) Fill in the blanks:
(11) The science of vegetable production is called ___________ .
(12) The actual amount of water present in air is called ___________ .
(13) Rearing of honeybees is called ___________ .
(14) The treatment given to counteract the effect of poison is called ___________ .
(15) The artificial removal of the stamens from flower before they dehisce is called ___________ .
(16) Plants which drop their leaves during winter are called ___________ .
(17) An individual with both male & female genitalia is called ___________ .
(18) TLC stands for ___________ .
(19) Arid agriculture means ___________ .
(20) Botanical name of wheat is ___________ .