FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2007.
BOTANY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: (i) Attempt FIVE questions in all including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
(ii) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered
(iii) Candidate must draw two straight lines (==================) at the end to separate each question attempted in Answer Books.
- (a) Comment on the statement that “Cycas is a living fossil”.
(b) Describe the distribution and habitats of conifers of Pakistan.
With the help of diagrams and brief notes compare the structure of dicot stem before and after the secondary growth.
(a) State the economic importance of yeasts and agarics
(b) Give the scientific name of yeasts and agarics.
(c) Starting with Kingdom: Plantae, classify both yeasts and agarics to the level of family.
(d) Give a brief account of the asexual/vegetative reproduction in the yeasts and sexual reproduction in agarics.
(a) Compare and contrast the structure of the thallus of Riccia with that of Marchantia.
(b) Draw a label diagram of the longitudinal section of the capsule of Funaria.
How do you differentiate the following?
Actinostele, plectostele, siphonostele, solenostele and dictyostele. Illustrate your answers with suitable examples.
(a) Describe briefly the various modes of sexual reproduction in algae giving examples.
(b) Give an account of the structure of a vegetative cell of Cyanophyceae and compare it with that of Chlorophyceae.
(c) Discuss the economic importance of algae.
(a) Describe in detail the characteristics features of the family Fabaceae or Poaceae giving their floral formula and floral diagram.
(b) Assign any five of the following plants to their respective families:
(i) Cassia fistula (ii) Pyrus malus (iii) Cicer arietinum (iv) Raphanus sativus (v) Lactuca sativa (vi) Papaver somniferum (vii) Hibiscus esculentus (viii) Zea mays
- Write only correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(1) Pappus found in compositae is the modification of:
(a) Calyx (b) Bract (c) Corolla (d) Stamen (e) None of these
(2) In Malvaceae androecium is characteristically:
(a) Monadelphous (b)Didynamous (c) Diadelphous (d) Tetradynamous (e) None of these
(3) The first phylogenetic system of plant classification was proposed by:
(a) Engler (b) Prantl (c) Wettstein (d) Eichler (e) None of these
(4) The androecium in Compositae is:
(a) Epipetalous and monadelphous (b) Polyandrous and monadelphous (c) Polyandrous and syngenesious (d) Epipetalous and syngenesious (e) None of these
(5) The fruit of mango is:
(a) Berry (b) Drupe (c) Pome (d) Nut (e) None of these
(6) Fungal spores produced asexually at tip or side of hyphae are called:
(a) Sporangiophore (b) Arthrospores (c) Conidia (d) Spores (e) None of these
(7) Damping off disease is caused by:
(a) Aspergillus (b) Ustilago (c) Pythium (d) Puccinia (e) None of these
(8) Obliquely placed ovary is present in the family:
(a) Rutaceae (b) Solanaceae (c) Malvaceae (d) Labiatae (e) None of these
(9) Gynobasic style arises from the base of ovary. This is characteristics of the family:
(a) Labiatae (b) Solanaceae (c) Compositae (d) Malvaceae (e) None of these
(10) Columella is present in sporangium of:
(a) Spirogyra (b) Yeast (c) Ulothrix (d) Rhizopus
(11) Which of the following diseases is cause by fungus?
(a) Cholera (b) Rust of wheat (c) T.B (d) Tetanus
(12) Target board effect is caused by:
(a) Alternaria (b) Colletotrichum (c) Pyricularia (d) Helminthosporium
(13) Edible fungus is:
(a) Aspergillus (b) Agaricus (c) Penicillium (d) None of these
(14) Clamp connections are very common in:
(a) Ascomycetes (b) Basidiomycetes (c) Phycomycetes (d) None of these
(15) Penicillin was extracted by:
(a) Flemming (b) Huxley (c) Lamarck (d) Brown
(16) Bacteria belong to:
(a) Schizomycetes (b) Actinomycetes (c) Epigynous (d) None of these
(17) Mushroom is a:
(a) Parasite (b) Saprophyte (c) Photosynthetic (d) None of these
(18) The sieve elements are the major components of:
(a) Xylem (b) Phloem (c) Cambium (d) None of these
(19) The gametes taking part in sexual reproduction of rhizopus are:
(a) Uninucleate (b) Binucleate (c) Multinucleate (d) DIkaryotic (e) None of these
(20) Blue green algae is a common name of:
(a) Xanthophyceae (b) Chlorophyceae (c) Cyanophyceae (d) Charophyceae (e) None of these