Botany CSS Paper II 2007
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2007.
BOTANY, PAPER – II
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: (i) Attempt FIVE questions in all including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
(ii) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered
(iii) Candidate must draw two straight lines (==================) at the end to separate each question attempted in Answer Books.
- Write a concise account of the mechanism of transportation and its significance to plants.
Differentiate between mitosis and meiosis. Write a concise account of meiosis and its significance.
What are mutations? Give a critical account of various types of mutations.
What is photoperiodism? Give an account of photoperiodic induction and its possible mechanism.
Give a detailed account of different xerophytes and their morphological and physiological adaptation.
(a) Define ecology, describe applications of ecology in detail.
(b) What is plant succession? Give detailed account of process of plant succession starting in a lake.
(a) Briefly discuss different theories of evolution. Which theory you think explains the best process of evolution and why?
(b) Write a note on adaptive mutation.
- Write only correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(1) In protein synthesis, amino acid molecule attaches with tRNA with help of enzyme aminoacyl tRNA:
(a) Synthetase (b) Synthase (c) Polymerase (d) None of these
(2) The term polyploidy is used according to the number of chromosomes set in nucleus:
(a) One set (b) Three sets (c) Ten sets (d) Many sets (e) None of these
(3) The plant growth hormone discovered as a result of the investigations of the rice disease cause by Fusarium moniliforme was:
(a) Auxin (b) Ethylene (c) Gibberellin (d) None of these
(4) Transported soils deposited by the action of wind are classified as:
(a) Eolian (b) Alluvial (c) Colluvial (d) None of these
(5) The RNA that acts as template in process of translation is called:
(a) rRNA (b) mRNA (c) rRNA (d) None of these
(6) The movement of material with in the plant body is known as:
(a) Absorption (b) Adsorption (c) Transformation (d) None of these
(7) How many ATP molecules are produced when one molecule of glucose is completely oxidized to H2O and CO2?
(a) 8 (b) 28 (c) 32 (d) 38 (e) None of these
(8) Seeds that require light for germination are said to be:
(a) Photoblastic (b) Photodormant (c) Photophile (d) Photozoic (e) None of these
(9) Viviparous germination is present in:
(a) Mangroves (b) Lithophytes (c) Both (a) and (b) (d) None of these
(10) In eukaryotes the number of start codon is/are:
(a) 1 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5 (e) None of these
(11) The basis of evolution in living organisms is:
(a) Allele (b) Mutation (c) Gene (d) None of these
(12) Plant absorbs water from soil by:
(a) Root cap (b) Root tips (c) Root hairs (d) None of these
(13) The percentage of moisture held in a soil after the drainage of gravitational water is the:
(a) Field capacity (b) Hygroscopic water (c) Permanent wilting percentage (d) None of these
(14) Changes in the arrangement of gene loci with in a chromosome are termed as:
(a) Translocation (b) Deficiency (c) Duplication (d) None of these
(15) Acquired characters are inherited according to:
(a) Darwin (b) Lamarck (c) Weissman (d) Miller (e) None of these
(16) The end product of Krebs cycle is:
(a) Citric acid (b) Oxaloacetic acid (c) Pyruvic acid (d) Lactic acid (e) None of these
(17) The function of mRNA is:
(a) Selection of amino acids (b) Production of tRNA (c) To synthesize DNA (d) None of these
(18) Replication of DNA is:
(a) Conservative (b) Semi conservative (c) De novo (d) None of these
(19) Oxygen released from green plant comes from:
(a) H2O (b) CO2 (c) Glucose (d) Proteins (e) None of these
(20) Cacti and other succulents are typically found in:
(a) Deserts (b) Forests (c) Mountains (d) Sea (e) None of these