JOURNALISM & MASS COMMUNICATION
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION-2004 FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BS-17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
TIME ALLOTTED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS :100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including Question No. 9, which is COMPULSORY. Select Two questions from each Section. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
1. What do mean by a communication theory and how it is constrcuted ?
2. “SMRC (Berlo’s Model) is an obsolete model in 21st century”. Write your frank comments.
3. News is drama and story telling”. Discuss.
4. “Concept of responisibilty precludes objectivity”. Do you agree? Write your argumentative answer.
5. Give a comparative analysis of writing styles of Maulana Zafar Ali Khan and Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
6. “Public relation and advertising is not everybody’s cup of tea”. Discuss.
7. Write short notes on any two column writers(Urdu/English) of your choice. Also, give the reason(s) of your selection.
8. Write a critical note on the present status of magazine journalism in Pakistan. Evaluate the personality of any magazine, you like the most.
9. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(1) A large size headline across the entire page is called:
(a) Deck (b) Banner (c) Lead (d) None of these
(2) A sheet containing facts and detailed information on any issue is known as:
(a) Summary (b) Write up (c) Backgrounder (d) None of these
(3) Muhammadan Social Reformer was the English name of:
(a) Muhazzab (b) Makhzan (c) Tahzeeb-ul-Akhlaq (d) None of these
(4) Daily DAWN was started in :
(a) 1940 (b) 1942 (c) 1944 (d) None of these
(5) The number of radio stations which Pakistan got in 1947 was:
(a) 5 (b) 2 (c) 3 (d) None of these
(6) CPNE is the representative body of :
(a) Editors (b) Newspaper owners (c)Working Journalist (d) None of these
(7) A leader is a name of:
(a) Leading story on the front page (b) Main Feature (c) Opening Editorial (d) None of these
(8) S.M.R.C. is well-known:
(a) Communication Theory (b) Communication Strategy (c) Communication Model (d) None of these
(9) A story appearing with the name of the writer is called:
(a) Credit Line (b) By Line (c) Print Line (d) None of these
(10) Dr. Goebbles is known as the father of:
(a) Advertising (b)Public Relation (c)Propaganda (d)None of these
(11) Radio Pakistan was converted into Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation in:
(a) 1964 (b) 1972 (c) 1976 (d) None of these
(12) P.P.O. was amended in:
(a) 1962 (b) 1963 (c) 1964 (d) None of these
(13) The cultivation theory was put forward by
(a) Denis McQuail (b) Joseph (c) George Gerbner (d) None of these
(14) The author of the famous book “COVERING ISLAM” is:
(a) Noam Chomsky (b) Edward Said (c) Pamela Shoemaker (d) None of these
(15) The concept of Development Support Communication was presented by:
(a) Joseph Ascroft (b) Erskine Childer (c) Quebral (d) None of these
(16) The headquarter of CNN is situated in:
(a) New York (b) Washington (c) Atlanta (d) None of these
(17) The name of the international organization working for a two-way flow of communication is:
(a) Transparency International (b) UNESCO (c) Amnesty International (d) None of these
(18) A full-service advertising agency has:
(a) Two departments (b) Three departments (c) Four departments (d) None of these
(19) The public relations department of the Federal Government is known as:
(a) DGPR (b) PID (c) DPR (d) None of these
(20) The Orient Press of India was a news agency belonging to the:
(a) Muslims (b) Hindus (c) British (d) None of these