Philosophy CSS Paper I 2005
FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2005.
PHILOSOPHY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt all questions. Give details in relevance to the marks assigned to the Question. Question No. 8 is objective.
- Logic is the Science of valid thought. How can we determine validity?
Bring out the difference between truth and validity?
hat is conclusion indicator and premises indicators?
Al Farabi divides logic into low many kinds/categories?
Write short notes on Inductive Leap?
What do you mean by ARGUMENTS IN CONTEXT?
Discuss the EMOTIVELY NEUTRAL LANGUAGE?
What is the form of discourse and its multiple functions?
Critically discuss fallacies of Relevance.
Bring out the difference between:
(a) Ad IGNORANTIAM, and
(b) Ad VERECUNDIAM
- PART – I: Write True and False in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question:
(1) Logic is Normative Science.
(2) If Premises are true conclusion must be true
(3) Premises are not in declarative form
(4) A proposition by itself is not an argument
(5) Deduction is based on induction.
PART – II: Which of the following are Propositions? Which are not right or wrong.
(6) Come a long
(7) I a man.
(8) Every student studies hard
(9) Truth is better than falsehood
(10) I wish I could go to London
PART – III: Do as directed.
(11) Evaluate the square of opposition in the light of Modern logic.
(12) How do you demarcate a line of difference between:
(a) QUALITY (b) QUANTITY (c) DISTRIBUTION
(13) Is immediate inference based on:
(a) CONVERSION (b) OBVERSION
(14) Draw a diagram for categorical proposition.
(15) What you prefer Deduction or Induction argue with your own examples.
PART – IV: Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(16) __________ of a syllogism uniquely determines its form:
(a) Proposition (b) Conclusion (c) Mood (d) Figure (e) Something else
(17) Kitab-al-Abr is written by:
(a) SINA (b) FARABI (c) Khaldun (d) Rushd (e) None of these
(18) C is the symbol of _____________ in logic.
(a) Implication (b) Disjunction (c) Conjection (d) None of these
(19) Conclusions is drawn from __________ in Deduction.
(a) Propositions (b) Premises (c) Simple enumeration (d) Something else
(20) Logic is based on __________.
(a) Language (b) Argument (c) Validity (d) Some other