FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2006.
PHILOSOPHY, PAPER – I
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
NOTE: Give details in relevance to the marks assigned to the Question. Question No. 8 is objective and Compulsory.
- Define Logic with special reference to strength, Cogence and Soundness. (20 Marks)
Give a brief history of Logic. (20 Marks)
Elaborate any two groups of Arguments.
Bring out the difference between Aristotelian and Modern Logic. (10 Marks)
Write short notes on Problem Solving in Logic. (10 Marks)
Define in detail Fallacies.
What is the role of connotation and denotation in logic? (5 Marks)
What is categorical proposition and classes? (5 Marks)
Define in detail categorical syllogism.
How can you reduce the number of terms in a Syllogistic Arguments?
- PART-1: Write True or False in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(1) Proposition are independent of the language they appear in.
(2) The business of logic is analysis and appraisal of arguments.
(3) Language is not informative.
(4) Language is Directive.
(5) Logic is always without fallacy.
PART-II: Which of the following are Prepositions? Which are not right or wrong?
(6) How are you?
(7) Man is mortal.
(8) I may not go.
(9) Man is a thinking animal.
(10) Sorry, I am late.
PART-III: Do as directed:
(11) Write three types of Fallacies.
(12) Bring out the difference between Universal Affirmative and particular Affirmative.
(13) Give the diagram of A.I.E.O.
(14) Show the categorical Propositions in Boolean form?
(15) What is truth table? Give an example.
PART-IV: Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the question.
(16) DURJ is written by:
(a) Farabi (b) Ibn-i-Sina (c) Al-Ghazali (d) None of these
(17) ~ is the symbol of _________:
(a) Conjunction (b) Implication (c) Negation (d) Something else
(18) Syllogism is based on _____________:
(a) Premises (b) Conclusions (c) Languages (d) Some other
(19) Simple – inumeration is the method of ____________:
(a) Deduction (b) Induction (c) Analogy (d) Some other
(20) Language is based on __________?
(a) Cognitive meaning (b) Emotive Meaning (c) Ethical Meaning (d) Some other