English Punjab PMS Paper 2006
PUNJAB PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
FOR RECRUITMENT TO THE POSTS OF PROVINCIAL MANAGEMENT SERVICE, ETC 2006
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
Q.1 Select any ONE of the following topics and write a comprehensive essay on it : (50 marks)
(1) Poverty Alleviation- A Dream or Reality
(2) A Public Office is Public Trust
(3) The predicament of Modern Man
(4) Internet Addiction
(5) Need for National Disaster Management Service
(6) Rites and Rituals
(7) First Deserve, then Desire
Q.2 Use any FIVE of the following phrases/idiomatic expressions in sentences (15 marks)
(i) A cry in the wilderness (ii) Look your age (iii) All that jazz (iv)An uphill task
(v) Evil genius (vi) Point blank (vii) Under the auspices of (viii) Go Down
Q.3 Construct sentences to distinguish between the meanings of any FIVE of the following pairs of words. (15 marks)
Bad, Bade; Gag, Gauge; Mead, Meed; Fury, Furry; Memorable, Memorial ;
Jewry, Jury; Glad, Glade; Quake, Quack
Q.4 Rewrite any FIVE of the following sentence after making necessary corrections: (10 marks)
1) Mankind should love nature.
2) The ailing patient had better to go to the doctor.
3) Pakistanis are desirous to go to abroad.
4) Shakespear is more famous that any English Dramatist.
5) Having Crossed the River, the road looked clear before them.
6) My statement is based on facts, and I will not withdraw.
7) I sent a verbal message to my friend.
8) He asked me politely if I will go now.
Q.5 Fill in the blanks in any FIVE of the following sentences. (10 marks)
1) The crew could not be bale of the blazing plane.
2) The tree fell when its roots were exposed. 3) The tide ebbed leaving behind sea weeds and rubbish. 4) Water rose rapidly and began to run .
5) He was rapidly injured, he will pull. 6) He dispensed my services.
7) I was quite cowed by the other man’s threats.