FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS IN BPS – 17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 2004.
GEOGRAPHY, PAPER – II
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all, including QUESTION No.8 which is COMPULSORY. All questions carry EQUAL marks.
- Give a lucid comparison between Environmental Determinism and Possibilism.
Explain the physical and economic factors which control the distribution of Fisheries in the world.
Give a comparison between tropical forests and Temperate forests.
Classify settlements on the basis of from and size.
Discuss critically Types of Migration.
Discuss how far climate relates to topography, with reference to Pakistan.
“Development of industries and agriculture depend on each other”. Discuss with reference to Pakistan.
- Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) The length of the coastline of Nepal is:
(a) 2,562 Km (b) 5000 Km (c) 0 Km (d) None of these
(2) The Sub-Himalayas or outer most Himalayas is also known as:
(a) Lesser Himalayas (b) Great Snowy Himalayas (c) The Siwaliks (d) None of these
(3) “Rub-ul-Khali” desert is located in:
(a) Africa (b) Pakistan (c) Saudi Arabia (d) None of these
(4) Whole South West Asia can be termed as:
(a) Arab (b) Islamic world (c) Dry World (d) All of the above (e)None of these
(5) White Nile and Blue Nile, two branches of the river Nile converge at:
(a) Khartoum (b) Sudan (c) Omdurman (d) None of these
(6) Agriculture which involves the haphazard cutting and burning of vegetation is a part of:
(a) Nomadic farming (b) Subsistence farming (c) Shifting cultivation (d) None of these
(7) The fastest moving cargo vehicle is:
(a) Aeroplane (b) Train (c) Ballistic missile (d) None of these
(8) Which of the following is not a fuel?
(a) Lignite (b) Natural GAs (c) Magnetite (d) None of these
(9) The Suez Canal was completed in:
(a) 1869 (b) 1857 (c) 1971 (d) None of these
(10) The height of Mt. Everest is about:
(a) 8000 m (b) 8848 m (c) 9000 m (d) None of these
(11) Population of Pakistan is:
(a) 149.1 million (b) 14.8 million (c) 25.1 million (d) None of these
(12) The length of Pakistan coast is:
(a) 700 Km (b) 800 Km (c) 850 Km (d) None of these
(13) The percentage of urban population is:
(a) 32.5% (b) 48% (c) 24% (d) None of these
(14) The length of Indus River is about:
(a) 2500 Km (b) 2900 Km (c) 3000 Km (d) None of these
(15) The Karakoram Pass connects the areas of:
(a) State of Jammu and Kashmir with the Sinking Province of China. (b) Gilgit Valley with Yarkand in Sinking Province of China (c) Chitral Valley with the areas of Gilgit Valley in Kashmir (d) None of these
(16) Pakistan is a land of:
(a) Extensive farming (b) Subsistence farming (c) Commercial farming (d) None of these
(17) Oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia in:
(a) 1948 (b) 1968 (c) 1938 (d) None of these
(18) The Cold Labrador Current meets near the:
(a) Grand Banks (b) Japanese Coast (c) Cape of Good Hope (d) None of these
(19) White Nile originates from:
(a) Lake Town (b) Lake Victoria (c) Lake Ontario (d) None of these
(20) The absolute location of South Asia is:
(a) 1° S to 37° N + 62° E – 97° E (b) 180° W to 20° W + 90° N – 30° N (c) Both are correct (d) None of these